Lessons I Learned In High School

Good morning, everyone!

I'm kicking my Back To School Blog Series off with a more personal post. I'm going to be talking about the lessons I learned in high school. I'm not going to lie: most of them, I learned the hard way. 


*Names changed for privacy reasons.

Fake friends are real.

Friends come and go. In high school, I had a best friend. Let's call her *Nancy. I was always second to her boyfriend, *Alex. I remember, I wanted to hangout with her one day after school. I asked her if she wanted to get together and she had told me she was grounded. Instead, she was hanging out with her boyfriend. And that was just the last straw.

Your first date-- you'll never forget it. 

My first date was with a blonde haired, blue eyed jock. We met up with *Ryan's friends at the movie theater, where we saw Catching Fire. Later on, we walked to Kiwi for frozen yogurt. It was awkward. And uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable. But hey, I won't forget it.

You'll do better things than dating the boy on the soccer team.

At first, I didn't know how to explain this. I didn't know exactly what I wanted to write in this block.

Should I write about the time he invited me to a party? The way he asked for pictures via Kik Messenger? Or maybe I should write about the time he didn't get what he wanted? Or maybe, how he subtweeted me? Or how his friends and him would make fun of me? #BloggingForTheBetter

Rumors are unavoidable.

Needless to say, we broke up. And rumors travelled faster than the speed of light. People were making up their own stories and twisting them. He sent me this really long Facebook message calling me out. Saying, I told everyone that I broke up with him and blah, blah, blah. For the record, I didn't tell anyone I broke up with him. I told them the truth. I took pride in standing up for myself.

Grades don't define you.

During my sophomore year of high school, I had a really hard English teacher. She gave me a D or an F on a paper. I was extremely heartbroken because English has always been my strongest subject. It took me awhile to get over it.

Cut the negative people out of your life; you'll be so much happier.

When you cut people off who are just mean to you, you'll feel so much better. Once I cut off *Nancy, I wasn't insecure anymore. In 12th grade, I was in another toxic friendship. *Alexandria made me feel as though every decision I made was wrong. Unfortunately, jealousy gets the best of people. You have to learn how to ignore them so it doesn't get to you. It took me the longest time to learn that one.

Do what you love regardless of what other people think. Easier said than done.

Throughout the years, I got some heat for my blog. But I've kept with it. And I couldn't be happier. Lesson learned: do what you love. It pays off in the long run.

Help someone every chance you get.

During my junior year, I decided to become a Spanish tutor. I had the opportunity to help two people out. I hope they both do wonderful things with their life. I know they're capable of it.

Get involved.

Creative Writing Club, Interact Club, Key Club, Newspaper, Students Against Destructive Decisions, etc. I tried to do it all. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Your parents are always right. Always.

They were right about the player. They were right about his friends, too. They were right about the guy who smoked. They were right about the jealous friends who plotted ways to bring you down for no good reason. They were right about trying your best. They were right about getting into the Honors Program at your dream school. They were right about believing in yourself. They were right about everything.

Time can heal most anything.

Boys. Toxic friendships. Wounds. Just give it all time and you'll figure it out. I promise. I did.

Everything happens for a reason.

I remember being so frustrated in high school. I didn't know why God would put me through such "low" times. Looking back, I see everything so much more clearly. Now, I know. I know what I want in a partner. I know what I need in partner. I know what love is. And I know, that some people aren't worth your time. I know people bring you down just to make themselves feel better. God has better plans for you. However, he may need to test you to make sure you're ready for those big plans.

Question of The Day: What's the most important lesson you learned in school? 

Thanks for reading!

22 comments:

  1. These are wonderful little reminders. "You'll do better things than dating the boy on the soccer team." AHA. That made me laugh so much because it's true but in the moment you don't think it is.

    One of the biggest lessons I learned in high school was not to sweat about the drama. Later in life which could be in a few hours, or days, months, or years the drama of then won't matter. So why stress if its pointless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I swore I was going to marry him someday. As you get older, you realize there are more important things in life.

      I love that you learned not to sweat the drama. I finally realized that as a senior. People are going to be jealous. People are going to create drama. It's up to you to ignore it.

      Delete
  2. What a great post with some important reminders! I've learnt that I shouldn't care what others think of me but what I think of myself. Lovely post!

    A x | www.meandmybeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats awesome, Anna! Do what you love regardless of what other people think. You don't need their approval.

      Delete
  3. Great post Guilianna! I know how important it is to remind ourselves of the truly important things in life so I am happy that you decided to share this(: A lesson that I have learned is (like I was saying) taking a step back and focusing on the truly important things and getting rid of all the extra stuff that might hinder us from pursuing our greatest potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Madalyn! I love that! It's so important to remember the little things. Thanks for reading & commenting!

      Delete
  4. Nice post! I love reading these types of posts are they are all so unique to an individual. I've learned from school is do whatever you want, people are going to judge you either way.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ró! I completely agree with you. Do what you love because you want to... Not because you think it will give you approval from others.

      Delete
  5. This made me laugh as I could relate to so many of these things, especially the part about fake friends. It's so important to only give time to the people who give their time to you. Also, doing what you love is so important. In a couple of years, these people won't be around anyways to judge you for what you're doing so who cares! xx Nikita

    BLOG//Jasmine Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Nikita! Fake friends are one of the hardest to deal with. My one "friend" talked about me to my other friends, trying to make them cut me off. It's all a jealousy thing. Thanks for reading & commenting!

      Delete
  6. Loved this post so much! I completely agree with fake friends - I've learnt to just let people go that aren't worth it and focus on getting good grades and sticking with just a few people who are true friends :)

    Amy xx
    Amy's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! That's exactly what I've learned. xx

      Delete
  7. Another great post. It was such a lovely post to read and I certainly did learn that grades don't define you during my first mocks when I got my results back and I they weren't awful but they weren't what I wanted and my teachers and others told me not to worry because they knew how hard I worked, so I learned not to get to carried away on grades, although I am very nervous for the results I receive in two weeks.
    But also in my time in secondary school I learned to put myself first in some situations, since I started secondary school I was never someone who wouldn't help someone with their homework or stuff like that but I noticed towards the end of the other school year that I was doing the work for some people and this year when doing course work which goes towards my final grade although I was working in a group it was our individual work that actually counted and it sounds selfish but I made sure my work was done to a certain standard before fully helping others or giving them my notes. I feel like I just learned that some people take you for granted and that you are going to put their work before your own, which I don't think you should.
    Again, I loved reading this and it really made me think.
    Ailish ELizabeth
    xx
    http://ailishelizabeth.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like to hear, Ailish! I definitely know what you mean. I struggled with that during my junior year of high school. Though I was a Spanish tutor, I needed to get my work done first. Thanks for reading & commenting! xx

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing these lessons, Guilianna! This was a great post as always. I wanted to wish you good luck as you head to college. You will do great!
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the sweetest, Sanjana! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  9. I agree with so many of these! Especially the whole grades things, they used to get me down so much then after a while I realised sulking about bad grades would get me nowhere. And the 'parents are always right' oh boy do I wish I listened to my mum more when she didn't trust one of my friends! Good luck heading to college this year :)
    constantlylibby.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly where you're coming from! Thanks for reading & commenting! I really appreciate it, Libby!

      Delete
  10. These are great reminders! I also have things I learned from high school that I wish I knew then..Great post, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post and all of these are such important points to make and remind forthcoming and current students of. I think we learn best from our own mistakes, but I wish people showed me posts such as this before I went into full time education as a teenager - cutting negative people out of your life is obviously easier said than done, especially at school when you worry what this might cost you in terms of rumours etc. but like you say, it will make you feel so much better for it and rumours really are unavoidable. The best defence when it comes to rumours is you yourself knowing the truth, and the people close to you also knowing the rumour is absolute rubbish, beyond that people can think what they like!

    Great post and really well written!

    Issy | MissIsGoode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you-- I definitely learned a lot from my own mistakes. I wouldn't change my decisions for the world. The lessons I learned are so much more valuable. Thanks for reading & commenting, Issy! x

      Delete

AddToAny