Cyberbullying Is Real + Stay Confident

Hello everyone! xx

I'm so happy I've gotten a post up everyday so far. (I probably just jinxed myself.) Today I'm going to talk about cyberbullying and how to stay confident through it.




Recently, an event occurred at my school that I feel the need to share with you. Have you heard of the app Yik Yak?

Yik Yak is an app that allows you to converse with other people in your area anonymously. The app was originally meant for college students to communicate with one another, for whatever purpose they may have- not high school students. 


Students in high school don’t know their boundaries within an anonymous place setting. It’s very easy to bash on someone when you’re behind a computer screen.







I admit to downloading the app for interest at first, and then it became more of a research project. I immediately took notice in foul language, inappropriate behavior, and pure cyberbullying. Cyberbullying goes beyond this app. It's found on every social media website you encounter. For example, I know several people who have been put down on Ask.fm. I, myself felt the need to create an account to see how people viewed me. Needless to say, people put some hurtful things on there.

Looking back on it all now, I realize that it's important to stay confident and true to yourself throughout the entire experience.


Here are some of my tips to help you stay confident (even if you're not being bullied):



1. If you're allowed to listen to music in the hallways, lunch, etc. do so. I am always listening to music, especially during my lunch period. I tend to sit alone so I can get my homework done.




2. Dress to impress- yourself. If you're wearing baggy sweatpants and an oversized sweatshirt, you're not going to feel confident. Break out your tighter fitting jeans and that sweater you've been dying to wear!


3. Keep a journal. (In all of my advice posts, I tend to advise towards having a journal.) A journal will really help you explore your thoughts and emotions. I'm always writing song lyrics that represent my emotions in a journal or the notes on my phone. Just depends when and where I am. It really helps.

4. Always smile. As Taylor says, "haters gonna hate." We have to accept it. Let them think what they want to think. As long as you know the truth what else matters?




I hope you found this post helpful and useful. I'm aware that we all encounter some type of bullying in our everyday lives. Remember to always stay true to yourself.


Thanks for reading,

Guilianna xx

12 comments:

  1. I reckon sites like Ask fm and this Yik Yak thing you're talking about do sound fun, but are also so hurtful. It's nice to know what people think of you, but at the same time you can't let that effect you. I love your advice here. Listening to music and keeping a journal are definitely great things, and Taylor seriously writes some good music with good lessons <3

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! People behind an anonymous name sets no boundaries within the app. I wish people didn't always believe the stuff they see online. Thank you so much, that's so sweet! I love when my words reach out to people. Thanks for reading and commenting it means the world to me, M! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Loved this post, haven't heard of Yik Yak but it will probably be hitting Ireland in a few weeks!

    Jennos Health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Yik Yak is a college app. I'm sure it will make it's way over shortly. I wish you the best of luck when it comes your way. Remember to always have a positive outlook on things. Thanks for reading and commenting it means so much to me. :) x

      Delete
  3. Omigod that's crazy Guilianna :/ Haven't heard of that app over here yet but no doubt it will be on our doorstep in no time ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it's absolutely crazy! It blew up overnight. The next thing I knew people were trashing other people as anonymous users. If and when it arrives at your school, I hope it's not as bad as it was here. I wish you the best of luck! Thanks for reading and commenting, it means so much to me! xx

      Delete
  4. Excellent post Guilianna, Ask.fm was awful but I'm dreading Yik Yak's arrival into Ireland even more so! Brilliant advice as well, keep it up :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Aveen! Ask.fm was horrible! I remember people bullying me after i had a fallout with someone. Quite ruthless I must say. If and when it does arrive to Ireland, I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully it doesn't escalate as quickly as it did here at my school. Thank you! Thanks for reading and commenting as well, it means so much to me as you already know. (Miss talking to you, Aveen! Haven't heard from you in forever!) xx

      Delete
  5. (^Sorry I had made a few typos due to my lack of sleep)

    Yik Yak spread so fast and became such a nuisance that the school board has to swoop in and get it banned from certain schools! Unfortunately, some people don't know how to use their words and technology for good and positivity. :( Anyway, funnily enough the tips that you suggested for remaining confident are exactly the same ones that I use whenever I need a pick-me-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Same here! I completely agree. Too many people take advantage of technology. Thank you so much. Great minds think alike then? Hahaha! Thanks for reading and commenting. xx

      Delete
  6. Cyberbullying, ah. It's such a sad thing. I've never personally been cyberbullied, but I sure have been teased a lot in some years of my life. I think it's a completely inevitable thing - no matter what you do to try to fit in, you're going to get bullied at some point in your life. And that's possibly one of the saddest things on this universe. xx We're all people. We're all humans. We all feel. We all are. And why do others try to mess with that? I think the common "TBH" and "Rate" thing going on on social media right now is just plain horrible. People constantly put others down with giving them low scores and bad TBHs. Do they not realize it hurts? It hurts the receiver so deep down in their heart. And don't they know that scars that deep take months and months to wholly heal?
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, Sanjana. I remember when I got rated a very low number on Instagram. It really hurt. I wish people would think before they act. Words have a huge impact- good or bad. Thanks for reading and commenting, it means so much to me. xx

      Delete

AddToAny