Blogging For The Better

After a long day, I found myself settling into a cushioned office chair with a cup of tea in hand. All I yearned for at that point in the day was the music my keyboard would make as I strung words together.

The click of the keys relaxed me as I logged onto my own corner of the internet, a place I call home. Guilianna Marie is a blog I created in the eighth grade in order to express my opinions on the beauty and fashion industries.

I opened a blank document with ease and began typing diligently. This time, though, I was not composing on Louis Vuitton’s latest fashion show hypes or a review on Maybelline New York’s Great Lash mascara. I was posting on a truly personal experience, something completely out of my element.

I was feeling bold, confident, and courageous as my fingers traced the silky white keys of my keyboard. Without hesitation, I titled the blog post “Respect Yourself”.
I began by typing, “If I flashback to a few months ago…”
This was the story of the first time I came in contact with the dreaded peer pressure my parents and teachers had been warning me about for years. It was a cold, dark Friday in January when my date and I walked through a burgundy door. We walked into alcohol, dimmed lights, the smell of smoke, and a too loud Blink 182 song.
Within the first hour, couples raced to rooms. My date took my hand and led me down a hall gallantly. I was so caught up in all of the attention I was receiving from the varsity soccer star that I was oblivious to my surroundings. Once his fingers grazed the silver doorknob of a clean wooden bedroom door, reality set in -- and I realized it wasn’t worth it.
I froze. My flushed cheeks spoke for me. I was left by myself for the rest of the evening. When 11:30 rolled around, I stumbled down icy steps and slid into my date’s green minivan. Once we pulled into my driveway, he walked me up to my porch.
He stared at his blue worn-in Adidas sneakers and said, “This isn’t working out.” After a moment of silence, I said nothing more than, “Okay.” He strode out into the night with his hands in the pockets of his brand new American Eagle khakis. From that moment on, I knew I would no longer be apart of the “in crowd”. At least I still had my pride.
And, that’s where the story ends.
Trembling fingers hovered the mouse as I disputed with myself to press publish. The constant fear that crept my mind was, “What if people from my school, or people from that party, or if the varsity soccer star himself reads this post?” The thought of him reading it made my heart stop.
I let a few days go by before I opened the blog post again. On January 10, 2015, I decided to reach out to all of the girls who have ever been in my position. A new fear crept my mind: “What if someone who needs to read this can’t?” I wanted girls to know they weren’t alone.
As my heart was beating out of my chest, my fingers hovered the mouse. I glided the mouse over the publish button and clicked it.
Within minutes, I received the best feedback I’ve ever received. Women all over the world thanked me. Others called me brave, while others said I inspired them.
My blog is a place I call home because my audience is my second family. My readers opened my eyes to several opportunities, such as building relationships with brands and encouraging others to be themselves. Helping others through my blog has changed me. My blog taught me how to use my voice to make a difference. Now, I intend on helping others through my blog and future career in psychology for many years to come.

12 comments:

  1. This was absolutely amazing xx

    Abbie || lifeofabbiejenkins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Abbie! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on this blog post. x

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful and absolutely heart warming! ❤ stay strong and keep at what you love to do ily xx

    Nikita
    jasminelovesblog.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nikita! It means a lot to me. xx

      Delete
  3. Wow! This was so well written. I can't wait to see what your blog holds for the next year xx
    http://blossomofhope.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laura! It means a lot to me that you took the time to read and comment on this blog post. Happy New Year! x

      Delete
  4. You are an amazing writer! I absolutely love this and I can't wait to see what your blog has in store this year! ♥
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sanjana! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on this blog post. I put a lot of time and effort into it. x

      Delete
  5. I love this! It is interestingly written and I love hearing back stories to people especially someone I can call a friend.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I've had the opportunity to make a friend like you! That is definitely one of the greatest perks-- making life long friends. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. I love that, at such a young age, you were brace enough to put yourself out there and stick up for others who perhaps found themselves in your situation. Thank you for being our #bloggershowcase.
    #pocolo
    (Sorry for the epically late comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Morgan. I really appreciate your sweet comment. Also, thanks for allowing me to be in your Blogger Showcase. It was an honor.

      Delete