How I Balance Blogging + School

Hi everyone!

Welcome back to my blog! Today I am sharing with you how I balance blogging and school, two of my biggest priorities. I am not going to lie, it is quite difficult, but I've managed and you can too!

School is a huge part of my life, especially now that I am a senior taking several AP and CE courses. I'm also one of the editors for my school newspaper and Vice President of Key Club. Oh, and I play intramural soccer.

Yes, finding time to blog is quite difficult, but also quite manageable. I have a certain schedule that I stick to in order to stay on top of my game:


Plan Ahead


Planning ahead is so important for me. During the month of August, I planned most of my blog posts up until the end of October. Keep a notebook for ideas with you at all times, or an updated Google Doc. I find that they both work very well.

With planning ahead, have an editorial calendar. It will make planning content much, much easier. Mondays rotate between a beauty, fashion, or lifestyle post. Thursdays are always a lifestyle post. It's pretty simple, therefore achievable. Coordinate your editorial calendar to content in which you'd like to produce.


Draft In Chunks


I recommend drafting posts throughout the week before bed. Personally, on Mondays I like to take a hot bath and follow up with some blogging time. Drafting blog posts is super easy. Then, throughout the week I manage time to edit them. 


Take Advantage of Weekends


School work always comes first. I like to carve out most of my school work on Friday night and Saturday morning. Hopefully then, by the afternoon I'm done! I spend the rest of my Saturday balancing my time between blogging and friends. Sundays too! This is the perfect time to schedule your posts! You can also schedule your Twitter posts with Hootsuite.


Use A Planner


I like to use my Lilly Pulitzer agenda for school work, but I will also put some blog information in there, such as collabs and brand work. 

When my planner isn't handy, I use monthly printables. I can easily color coordinate them to match my editorial calendar on my drive. I then highlight them as I complete them. This allows me to see which posts are coming up and which ones I need to desperately work on. It's super convenient! 


2-6 Hours Per Post


Basically, it comes to a total of 2-6 hours a week spent on a blog post, which isn't too much time. I spend about 1-2 hours throughout the week and the remainder finishing it up on the weekend. 


Most of the bloggers I stay in contact with are also in school. They do a great job at balancing their school work and blogging matters too. It truly comes down to the tools you use and your time management.

How much time do you spend on a single blog post? I'm curious! Comment below!

Thanks for reading,


10 comments:

  1. You are so organize! I go by whenever I have time to write and when something comes to my mind! probably should figure something else out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try, Vanessa! I don't know what I would do without my planner. Thanks for reading & commenting!

      Delete
  2. Answering your question...hmmm. If it's a post I'm very passionate about like something political then it takes about 45 minutes because I just get in the zone. Other posts can take between 30 minutes and two hours.

    xx thisfashiongirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's absolutely fantastic! I wish I had that drive! Thanks for reading and commenting, Christina! x

      Delete
  3. I should start using someone of these tips. I have barely been able to post since school has started back up again. Great Advice!
    - Sarah ☽
    http://blackpapermoon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you! I love, love, love planning my posts and scheduling them, but sometimes it just gets too hard. Thanks for reading & commenting! x

      Delete
  4. This is really great advice, I completely agree with you.. it can be really difficult! So glad I found your blog too, it looks so lovely! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this advice helpful, Adele! Thanks for taking the time to read & comment on this post. It means so much. x

      Delete
  5. This is such a great post, it can be super hard to balance blogging and school! I find taking advantage of weekends super helpful as well ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely been struggling these past 2 weeks trying to keep up with the blog. Thanks for reading and commenting, Amy!

      Delete

AddToAny