How To Take Killer Notes

Hi everyone!

Welcome back to another back to school post. I hope you've been enjoying this addition to my blog. I know I'm enjoying posting twice a week.

Without further ado, let's talk about how to take some killer notes:

1. Gather your materials.
  • Handouts
  • Notebook
  • Pens/Highlighters
  • Post-Its
  • Textbook



2. Take notes before class.

Out of all of my note taking tips, this is the one I advise the most. On Saturdays and Sundays, I like to skim through the chapters I'll be covering in class that week. From there, I just take notes from the textbook. Do this because it allows you to focus in class as opposed to writing down everything the teacher says.

  • Color code new ideas
  • Draw diagrams and/or pictures

3. Write down any questions you have.

If I have any questions after reading the chapter, I will write them on a post it note in green ink. This is also extremely important. I suggest doing some extended research prior to asking the question too. It will show your professor that you are knowledgeable and are putting in the extra time to succeed.


4. Add to your notes in a different color during time of the lecture. 


During the lecture, I will still take notes. (I like to do this in purple ink by the way.) If there is nothing to be added, I will star anything my professor exaggerates in red ink. Perfect for study time! 





5. Study your notes.

I admit, I'm not the first one to follow this; but do as I say, not as I do. Study your notes within hours of taking them. The retention rate is much higher if you do so. 

I have done this on several occasions, but with my busy schedule sometimes I put studying off until the last minute. Life gets in the way sometimes, you know?



6. From there, you can make a study guide.

This is something I do all the time. Over the summer, I took Introduction to Psychology. I made a study guide for each chapter. It really helps me retain the information. Click here to see how I make my study guides. 


That concludes my note taking tips. Go ace that test

22 comments:

  1. This was a great post!! Really need these tips for class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this post useful, Shelby! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I definately agree, taking notes before class is one of the best things you can do! Lovely post!
    Freya xx
    miss-perceived.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes! It's a true lifesaver. Thanks for reading and commenting, Freya. I really appreciate it. x

      Delete
  3. Your handwriting is so beautiful girl! I love these ideas, especially color coding. I get bored looking at just black ink text on a page but the color helps me focus more.
    Hey, have you heard of cornell note method?
    wishing you all the best,
    ayele
    https://asenseofhomeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ayele! I'm glad you liked these ideas. I have heard of the cornell note method. Though, it doesn't work for me. I find that my notes look messy and they are not easy to read. I find that different note taking styles work for different subjects though. How do you take your notes? Thanks for reading and commenting as always!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for making this post! I've had a lot of trouble figuring out how to take notes in my AP classes and will definitely use your tips!

    XO Alyson | My Life as Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome. These notes are full proof for all AP classes. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Alyson! I really appreciate it. xx

      Delete
  5. My studying method is quite similar. However, I've never tried the third one which was "Write down any questions you have". That is a really good tip which I'll definitely utilize when having my studying periods at home or reading a book which has a complicated plot.

    #sweetreats xx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always make it a point to write questions on stickies in my notebook. I find that it keeps me a lot more organized. Thanks for reading and commenting! I really appreciate it. xx

      Delete
  6. This was really helpful, as I struggle to make effective and easy to learn from notes! Thanks for the tips!

    Mind checking out my latest? - it's a Seventeen brand collab ft. some new makeup products!

    Alice x
    girlabroadblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alice! x

      I just checked out your latest post and loved it. Thanks for sharing!

      https://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

      Delete
  7. I Absolutely LOVE this ! these are brilliant tips and I love the idea of pre learning the stuff and adding in in purple and and putting questions in green, honestly that's genius , I am so going to be using this and might have to share this post with my followers if that's alright ? So they could use all your wonderful tips :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marianne! I'm really glad you found this post helpful. Thanks for reading & commenting; I really appreciate it. xx

      https://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

      Delete
  8. How did you find psychology? I need to choose my A levels and am considering that as a subject.
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the longest time I actually want to go into journalism. Then, I shadowed the editor of a local paper. I realized that job wasn't for me. I decided to start my college career early by taking some classes over at my local community college. I took an introduction to psychology class and loved it!

      Thanks for reading and commenting, Aleesha! xx

      https://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

      Delete
  9. These tips are really helpful! I have just started A Levels and am trying to get a handle on taking notes and these tips will definitely help me! I love the colour coding ideas and may have to adopt some!

    www.kizzimay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them, Kizzi! Thanks for reading & commenting! I really appreciate it. x

      Delete
  10. How I wish i have had this help when I was starting my undergrad. My note taking skills were a disaster lol.
    I completely agree with your point on studying your notes, this is something I learn only in my 3rd year.
    It's important to keep the notes neat and organised.. saves a lot of times and makes it a lot easier when you have to study them.
    great tips dear :)
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! But yes, studying your notes within a certain amount of time from taking them is a HUGE deal. I started it doing it this year, as my course load is more intense. It's a life changer. Thanks for reading and commenting, Sauniya! It means a lot. xx

      Delete
  11. Your notes are so neat, hopefully you can do a post on how to revise for exams? It would be so helpful. Thank you for the helpful tips.

    simplyjessytee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessy! I can most definitely do a post on how I study for final exams. Thanks for reading and commenting! I truly appreciate it.

      Delete